What is the Master Gardener Volunteer Program?
The OSU Extension Master Gardener Volunteer Program is a premier, statewide network of volunteer education and leadership development; as well as a consumer horticulture education delivery system that maximizes human, material and natural resources, and values teamwork and excellence in educational programming. The Master Gardener Volunteers' knowledge, experience and enthusiasm have become essential to Extension education of consumer horticulture in the state of Ohio.
The Master Gardener Volunteer Program provides an extensive course in horticulture in exchange for a donation of volunteer hours to share your gardening knowledge with the community through OSU Extension sponsored activities.
Master Gardener Volunteer Training
Volunteers are an important component of the OSU Extension system. Volunteers are not required to have gardening skills or knowledge; but a passion for learning about gardening and sharing this knowledge with others is a must! There are many opportunities to obtain hours either with a “hands-in-the-dirt” group project or as a “behind-the-scenes” individual contributor supporting non-physical activities.
Master Gardener Volunteer online training is offered for residents of Licking County and surrounding areas. The online training program provides a balanced, integrated, practical course in plant science. Core topics that are part of the training are oriented to Extension and the Master Gardener Volunteer Program:
Soils and Soil Fertility
Basic Plant Pathology
Plant Disease Diagnosis
Pesticide Use and Safety
Home Lawn Care
Trees and Shrubs
Home Vegetable Production
Home Fruit Production
Backyard Wildlife Management
Herbs and more!
How do I know if I'd make a good Master Gardener Volunteer?
- You want to learn more about plants and gardening.
- You are eager to participate in a practical and intensive training program.
- You enjoy sharing your knowledge with others.
- You have the time to attend training and serve your community as a volunteer educator.
- YOU HAVE A PASSION FOR GARDENING.
This new online method of training fits your schedule!
The Ohio State University Extension Buckeye Gardener Online course is a certification program developed by the Ohio State University Master Gardener Volunteers and is based on the Master Gardener curriculum.
Once the course is completed, participants will be able to:
- Design a garden
- Match plant needs to garden locations
- Propagate plants using a variety of methods and techniques
- Identify issues and develop effective management strategies
- Promote pollinators
- Educate friends and neighbors about the science of gardening
Participants will have access to the course materials for one year from the date of enrollment.
COST: The total training fee is $150 plus a fee for an online backgroung check of approximately $37.
Scholarships are available. Inquire with Lori Swihart at the contact information below.
The Master Gardener Volunteer training course consists of:
- A minimum of 50 hours of online instruction which includes hands-on lab work.
- An equivalent number (50) of horticultural significant volunteer hours is required with in a year to become a Certified Master Gardener Volunteer.
How do Master Gardener Volunteers remain active from year to year?
- Obtaining ten (10) continuing education hours
- Donating a minimum of twenty (20) community service hours.
. Only pre-approved Ohio State University Extension sponsored activities count toward the requirement.
Understanding more about the program:
- MGV Position Description
- MGV Volunteer Standards of Behavior
- Pest Management Information Policy
- MGV Program Policy Statement
Contact me today to discuss this training opportunity!
If interested in online classes and becoming a
Licking County Master Gardener Volunteer, please
submit an application via mail or email to the contact information below.
Questions? Contact Lori Swihart, Program Coordinator directly at (740) 618-6334, 740-670-5315 (office) or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to 771 East Main Street, Suite 103, Newark, Ohio 43055