A Parent's Guide to Licking County 4-H - Updated with 2020 dates, this helpful booklet gives you an overview of club meetings & expectations, projects, project judging, costs and the fair.
How to Purchase Project Books
- Download one for free. Select from a dozen popular titles in the Perfect Stay-at-Home Projects collection. Click on the book you want, and when the file opens on your screen, save or print it from there. This year, a selection of 4‑H Cloverbud activities is available too. (For accessible formats of these publications, visit cfaes.osu.edu/accessibility.)
- Order and pick up project books in your county office. If you would rather purchase a printed copy of a Perfect Stay-at-Home Project or any other project book, you can purchase those at the extension office. Ohio residents get the best price on printed books when they order and pick up their purchases through local Extension offices. Please call the office (740.670.5315) before coming to make sure we have the book(s) you want in stock.
- Buy one online. Like last year, you also can order directly from extensionpubs.osu.edu. Ohio residents receive free shipping on orders of $20 or more with the coupon FREE2021. Books cost slightly more this way, but orders can be shipped directly to any Ohio address. There is no restriction on the number of times a coupon can be used. See our printable Ordering Is Easy instructions. Please review your order carefully. Extension Publishing is not able to accept returns.
- Make your own. Self-determined projects are an excellent choice for self-motivated members eager to get started by creating their own projects. Although self-determined projects may be better suited for older 4-H members, they are available for any member and are often based on idea starters already available online. Many of the idea starters are great stay-at-home projects too, for example, Music, Bats, String Art, Climate Change, American Sign Language, etc. Learn about the best of current circumstances with My Own Stay-at-Home Project. (For project judging, self-determined projects are judged in self-determined categories.)
2020 Photo ID Badges - Who needs to have a picture taken this year?
All new exhibitors and ALL advisors (Advisor photos will now be good for three (3) years. All advisors should have their photo taken in 2020)
Any exhibitor who did NOT have a badge in 2019 (member was not enrolled for 2019 or forgot to have their picture taken in 2019).
Everyone will receive a new ID Badge for 2020.
Advisor badges will be issued from the Senior Fair office and Exhibitor badges will be issued from either the Junior Fair Board Office or Ramsey 4-H Center. All badges issued in a prior year cannot be used for admission to the fair and will be confiscated if presented.
Still need help in trying to decide what project to take: Project Central is an easy way for 4-H members and project helpers to preview Ohio 4-H project books and resources. Take a closer look at a book, find out what others have to say, and share your experiences. Go to: http://projectcentral.ohio4h.org/
Club Officer Resources:
- Click on the following link for downloadable files of officer books and additional useful forms: Ohio 4-H Club Officer Resources
- 4-H Club Parlimentary Procedure for Community Organizations and Boards
- 4-H Club Parliamentary Procedure Kit (Hardin County 4-H)- This kit will help clubs increase members' knowledge about parliamentary procedure and business meetings.
Food, Clothing & Special Interest Projects:
- Licking County 4-H Food and Fashion Board - Need help with a food or fashion project? Food and Fashion Board members are available to come to your club to answer questions.
- Self-Determined Project Guide (A completed Self-Determined Project Guide is required for each self-determined project. (This Project Guide and the Idea Starters are available on the State 4-H website at: Books and Resources - Other Publications Available for Download on the State 4-H website: Master Projects and Additional Resources
- 2017 You Can Quilt Project Changes
- Robotics Project Resources - Click on the link to be connected to online information regarding the Robotics projects.
- Genealogy Resources - Information on the Licking County Genealogy Society, local resources and many helpful links to genealogical resources around the country are available by clicking on the link above.
- Ohio 4-H Animal Sciences Resource website: Also, each species has their own Resource page with information that can help 4-H members decide if an animal project is right for them. There is also a home page and state calendar page for each species. Click on the following individual species for the link to the Resource pages: Companion, Dog, Rabbit, Dairy, Horse, Poultry, Livestock and Ohio 4-H PetPals. Also, check out the State 4-H Skillathon website
Project Requirements & Supplements:
2021 Licking County 4-H Project Requirements (this booklet covers all 4-H projects and contains the 2021 Clothing & Food Supplements, as well as judging dates and awards.
- Cake Decorating supplement 492(b) Skills & Techniques Record Book
- Special Interest Project Score Sheet
- Clothing Project Score Sheet
- Food Project Score Sheet
- MyPlate Web Site
- MyPlate - Color flyer of MyPlate
Companion Animal Projects/Resources:
Includes cavy, cat, and rabbit projects. Ohio 4-H Companion Animals state website - click on the previous link for information on events, resources and acknowledgments for dogs, rabbits and companion animals.
- 4-H Pet Care Project Descriptions
- 4-H PetPals-Welcome Info - 4-H PetPals-About - 4-H PetPals-Resources
Dog Resource Handbook (201R) – Updates to this book have been added to our Books/Resource page under Publication Updates. There are two versions: 2016 edition and 2018 edition. Members can download one pdf with all the changes depending on which edition they own. Changes were made in these chapters: Breeds, Grooming, Communication and Behavior, Obedience, Judging, Showmanship, and Working Dogs.
- Dog Achievement Program - Our Mission: To offer a 4-H dog project that encourages youth to accomplish personal goals and master life skills with their dogs, without competing against other 4-H dog project members.
- Ohio 4-H Dog Resource Information - find updates and information about 4-H Dog and Companion Animal projects, including Ohio State Fair Dog Show rules and score sheets. A calendar of events is also posted.
- Selecting Dog Projects - Click on the link for an explanation of dog projects, requirements and judging information.
- 2021 Licking County Dog Vaccination Certificate - to be used for the Hartford Fair
The following information can be found at www.go.osu.edu/dog on the State 4-H Dog Resource Page.
- Summary of Highlights/Major Changes to 2021 Ohio 4-H/Ohio State Fair Dog Show Rules
- 2021 Ohio State Fair Dog Show
- 2021 Ohio State Fair Vaccination Certificate
Public Speaking & Demonstrations Contests:
2020 Cloverbud Pledge, Demonstrations Contests and Health & Safety Speaking Contests Entry Form - Entry Due Friday, May 29, 2020
- Communications Days Information
- Health and Safety Team Talk/Skit Contest Information
- Health and Safety Individual Public Speaking Contest Information
- Shooting Sports Public Speaking and Demonstration Contest - Registration Form can be found here.
Encouraging Members to Demonstrate - Various ways advisors can encourage their members to present demonstrations.
4-H for Youth:
4-H is the ultimate youth development experience and is what you make it. Through trips, activities, projects, leadership roles, working in teams and new levels of responsibility, youth learn the skills necessary to be successful in an ever changing world. "Join the revolution of responsibility" and prepare yourself for greatness in 4-H! Click on the following link to the Ohio 4-H Youth Development - 4-H for Youth webpage
- Ohio State Fair - 4-H is the largest youth development program in Ohio! Located in the Youth Center, a portion of the building is used as exhibit space for 4-H projects and judging activities during the State Fair. Fairgoers can learn about the 4-H program by talking with the 4-H members competing each day.
- Just for Teens - more information about 4-H Ambassadors, CWF, Collegiate 4-H, Awards & Scholarships, CARTEENS, State Fashion Board, Teen Conference, and Teen Council
- Saying Thank You: A lot of respect can be earned or lost by our ability to say thanks. Thank you notes help our sponsors realize that the award sponsorship really means something to you. It helps make them more interested in sponsoring next year. For help in writing that thank you note or letter click on the following link: Thank you flyer