A Parent's Guide to Licking County 4-H - Updated with 2023 dates, this helpful booklet gives you an overview of club meetings & expectations, projects, project judging, costs and the fair.
2023 4-H Project Judging | July 11, 2023 | C-TEC (150 Price Rd., Newark, OH 43055)
- Members will be responsible for scheduling an appointment time for each project they will need judged. Each judge will be judging a specific set of projects. Members should review the lists below to see which judge(s) they need to schedule their appointments with.
- If you are having more than one project judged, please do not schedule the same time slot for two different judges. We recommend you allow at least one time slot as a buffer between judges (i.e. if you selected the 10:00a.m. slot for your first judge, do not select the 10:00am or 10:10am slot for your second judge to help ensure you have completed your interview with your first judge and prepared your project(s) for you next judge before your second appointment).
- The judges list is organized by Project Name and by Project Number. Use whichever list helps you find your project more easily.
- Once you have reviewed the lists linked in the bullet above and confirmed which judge(s) you will need to schedule with, please schedule your appointments here: http://go.osu.edu/licking4hjudging
Project Judging Results can be found on the Awards, Results, and Recognition page.
- Learn more about large equipment, engines, petroleum power, and ATVs.
- Complete the Tractor Operator's Certification Program (youth ages 14 and older).
- There are two 4-H Tractor Clubs in Licking County. Download the flyer by clicking the link above.
- Flint Ridge Tractor Club will meet this fall/winter with the first meeting being Monday, October 2nd at 7:30pm.
- Utica Tractor Club will meet this fall/winter with the first meeting being Sunday, October 15th at 6:00pm.
- Thursday, April 20, 2023 - 6:30pm-8:00pm
- Granville High School - 248 New Burg Street, Granville
- Great opportunity for members to learn about the office they will be serving in or to learn more about an office that they are interested in running for. This is also a great opportunity for new families to learn more about Licking County 4-H and to have questions answered.
How to Purchase Project Books
- Order and pick up project books in your county office. If you would rather purchase a printed copy of a Perfect Stay-at-Home Project or any other project book, you can purchase those at the extension office. Ohio residents get the best price on printed books when they order and pick up their purchases through local Extension offices. Please call the office (740.670.5315) before coming to make sure we have the book(s) you want in stock.
- Buy one online. Like last year, you also can order directly from extensionpubs.osu.edu. Ohio residents receive free shipping on orders of $20 or more with the coupon FREE2021. Books cost slightly more this way, but orders can be shipped directly to any Ohio address. There is no restriction on the number of times a coupon can be used. See our printable Ordering Is Easy instructions. Please review your order carefully. Extension Publishing is not able to accept returns.
- Make your own. Self-determined projects are an excellent choice for self-motivated members eager to get started by creating their own projects. Although self-determined projects may be better suited for older 4-H members, they are available for any member and are often based on idea starters already available online. Many of the idea starters are great stay-at-home projects too, for example, Music, Bats, String Art, Climate Change, American Sign Language, etc. Learn about the best of current circumstances with My Own Stay-at-Home Project. (For project judging, self-determined projects are judged in self-determined categories.)
Still need help in trying to decide what project to take: Project Central is an easy way for 4-H members and project helpers to preview Ohio 4-H project books and resources. Take a closer look at a book, find out what others have to say, and share your experiences. Go to: http://projectcentral.ohio4h.org/
Club Officer Resources:
- Click on the following link for downloadable files of officer books and additional useful forms: Ohio 4-H Club Officer Resources
- 4-H Club Parlimentary Procedure for Community Organizations and Boards
- 4-H Club Parliamentary Procedure Kit (Hardin County 4-H)- This kit will help clubs increase members' knowledge about parliamentary procedure and business meetings.
Food, Clothing & Special Interest Projects:
- Licking County 4-H Food and Fashion Board - Need help with a food or fashion project? Food and Fashion Board members are available to come to your club to answer questions.
- Self-Determined Project Guide (A completed Self-Determined Project Guide is required for each self-determined project. (This Project Guide and the Idea Starters are available on the State 4-H website at: Books and Resources - Other Publications Available for Download on the State 4-H website: Master Projects and Additional Resources
- Robotics Project Resources - Click on the link to be connected to online information regarding the Robotics projects.
- Genealogy Resources - Information on the Licking County Genealogy Society, local resources and many helpful links to genealogical resources around the country are available by clicking on the link above.
- Ohio 4-H Animal Sciences Resource website: Also, each species has their own Resource page with information that can help 4-H members decide if an animal project is right for them. There is also a home page and state calendar page for each species. Click on the following individual species for the link to the Resource pages: Companion, Dog, Rabbit, Dairy, Horse, Poultry, Livestock and Ohio 4-H PetPals. Also, check out the State 4-H Skillathon website
Project Requirements & Supplements:
2023 Licking County 4-H Project Requirements (this booklet covers all 4-H projects and contains the 2023 Clothing & Food Supplements, as well as judging dates and awards.
- Cake Decorating supplement 492(b) Skills & Techniques Record Book
- Special Interest Project Score Sheet
- Clothing Project Score Sheet
- Food Project Score Sheet
- MyPlate Web Site
- MyPlate - Color flyer of MyPlate
Companion Animal Projects/Resources:
Includes cavy, cat, and rabbit projects. Ohio 4-H Companion Animals state website - click on the previous link for information on events, resources and acknowledgments for dogs, rabbits and companion animals.
- 4-H Pet Care Project Descriptions
- 4-H PetPals-Welcome Info - 4-H PetPals-About - 4-H PetPals-Resources
Dog Resource Handbook (201R) – Updates to this book have been added to our Books/Resource page under Publication Updates. There are two versions: 2016 edition and 2018 edition. Members can download one pdf with all the changes depending on which edition they own. Changes were made in these chapters: Breeds, Grooming, Communication and Behavior, Obedience, Judging, Showmanship, and Working Dogs.
- Dog Achievement Program - Our Mission: To offer a 4-H dog project that encourages youth to accomplish personal goals and master life skills with their dogs, without competing against other 4-H dog project members.
- Ohio 4-H Dog Resource Information - find updates and information about 4-H Dog and Companion Animal projects, including Ohio State Fair Dog Show rules and score sheets. A calendar of events is also posted.
- Selecting Dog Projects - Click on the link for an explanation of dog projects, requirements and judging information.
- 2023 Licking County Dog Vaccination Certificate - to be used for the Hartford Fair
The following information can be found at www.go.osu.edu/dog on the State 4-H Dog Resource Page.
- Summary of Highlights/Major Changes to 2021 Ohio 4-H/Ohio State Fair Dog Show Rules
- 2021 Ohio State Fair Dog Show
- 2021 Ohio State Fair Vaccination Certificate
Public Speaking & Demonstrations Contests:
- Communications Days Information
- Health and Safety Team Talk/Skit Contest Information
- Health and Safety Individual Public Speaking Contest Information
- Shooting Sports Public Speaking and Demonstration Contest - Registration Form can be found here.
Encouraging Members to Demonstrate - Various ways advisors can encourage their members to present demonstrations.
4-H for Youth:
4-H is the ultimate youth development experience and is what you make it. Through trips, activities, projects, leadership roles, working in teams and new levels of responsibility, youth learn the skills necessary to be successful in an ever changing world. "Join the revolution of responsibility" and prepare yourself for greatness in 4-H! Click on the following link to the Ohio 4-H Youth Development - 4-H for Youth webpage
- Ohio State Fair - 4-H is the largest youth development program in Ohio! Located in the Youth Center, a portion of the building is used as exhibit space for 4-H projects and judging activities during the State Fair. Fairgoers can learn about the 4-H program by talking with the 4-H members competing each day.
- Just for Teens - more information about 4-H Ambassadors, CWF, Collegiate 4-H, Awards & Scholarships, CARTEENS, State Fashion Board, Teen Conference, and Teen Council
- Saying Thank You: A lot of respect can be earned or lost by our ability to say thanks. Thank you notes help our sponsors realize that the award sponsorship really means something to you. It helps make them more interested in sponsoring next year. For help in writing that thank you note or letter click on the following link: Thank you flyer