Still need help in trying to decide what project to take: Project Central is an easy way for 4-H members and project helpers to preview Ohio 4-H project books and resources. Take a closer look at a book, find out what others have to say, and share your experiences. Go to: http://projectcentral.ohio4h.org/
Hartford Fair Horse Information (from the Premium Book)
*NEW* 2020 Horse Safety & Ethics Packet - This packet was given out at the Horse Safety & Ethics Program. If you were able to attend the Horse Safety & Ethics Program on March 11 at Ohio State Newark, you would have received this packet. This packet has been updated with current (as of April 1, 2020) events/dates. This packet will be passed out at any Horse Safety & Ethics Program we will hold when we are able to do so.
Any Hartford Fair youth exhibitor who has not attended one approved Junior Fair Livestock Quality Assurance training will be ineligible to exhibit livestock (in the areas requiring QA training) during the 2020 Hartford Independent Fair if they are unable to complete a Quality Assurance training by July 1, 2020.
All youth enrolling in a horse project for the first time during 2020 will be required to attend a Horse Safety & Ethics Program. This program is also required of all advisors who will be working with horse projects for the first time during the coming year. Each member is required to have a parent / guardian attend with them. both, the youth member and parent / guardian will be required to sign in upon attend. Youth are not eligible to show in 4-H sponsored shows (youth 4-H shows / Hartford Fair / Ohio State Fair) until this training requirement has been met. Horse Safety & Ethics programs are offered at the same time and location as livestock quality assurance programs.
All QA requirements must be met by July 1. Please contact the Licking County OSU Extension office at 740-670-5315 for a list of out of county QA program dates and times contact phone numbers that you can attend in order to exhibit livestock/equine projects at the Hartford Junior Fair.
2020 Photo ID Badges - Who needs to have a picture taken this year?
All new exhibitors and ALL advisors (Advisor photos will now be good for three (3) years. All advisors should have their photo taken in 2020)
All 2020 exhibitors with last names beginning with N thru Z (even years)
Who does not need a new picture taken this year? Exhibitors with last name beginsning with A thru M (odd years) and you had a 2019 ID Photo Badge. A new badge will be issued with last year's photo.
Everyone will receive a new ID Badge for 2020.
Advisor badges will be issued from the Senior Fair office and Exhibitor badges will be issued from either the Junior Fair Board Office or Ramsey 4-H Center. All badges issued in a prior year cannot be used for admission to the fair and will be confiscated if presented.
A full list of dates to have your photo take can be found here (check back for updated information).
Licking County 4-H Horse & Pony Council Queen/King & Princess/Prince Royalty Rules & Application and Licking County 4-H Horse & Pony Council Introduction to the Competition / Meet & Greet Flyer
Licking County 4-H Horse Clinic - Show N' Tell - Saturday, May 2, 2020, 9:00 am Start Time - Grubb Arena, Hartford Fairgrounds
2020 Licking County 4-H Contest Division Horse Show - Friday, July 10, 2020
2020 Licking County 4-H Western Division Horse Show - Saturday, July 11, 2020
2020 Licking County 4-H English Division Horse Show - Sunday, July 12, 2020
Licking County 4-H Horse and Pony Council Fall Banquet: Check back for date and information.
- 2019-2022 - USDF Introductory Level Walk/Trot - Test A - Test B - Test C
- 2019-2022 USEF DRESSAGE TEST GUIDELINES - (2019 Training Level Test 1 - 2019 Training Level Test 2 - 2019 First Level Test 3) - For more advance tests - click here
- 2017-2020 Western Dressage - Musical Freestyle Intro Level - Intro Level Test 1 - Intro Level Test 2 - Intro Level Test 3 - Basic Level Test 1 - Basic Level Test 2 - Basic Level Test 3
Update: Equine Record Book (190R) – This resource has been rebranded. The Feed Expense Report on page 16 has been updated to include a column for weight (in pounds) under the categories of Grain, Hay/Pasture, and Supplements/Additives. Change was for clarity, either record sheet is acceptable. Click here for Page 16
- 2020 Hartford Independent Fair Junior Fair Horse Show Update - Updated show schedule and rules.
- 2020 Licking County 4-H Project Requirements (this booklet covers all 4-H projects and contains the 2020 Clothing & Food Supplements, as well as judging dates and award definitions).
- Ohio State Fair Representative - Updated 4.9.20 - (Licking County 4-H PAS form) - Due with Horse ID paper.
- Licking County 4-H Horse Project Qualification for State Fair (Includes Qualifying Out of County & Non-Licking County Youth Requirements).
- LC Horse & Pony Council 2020 Supplement - Updated - This supplement should be attached to the Current 2019 4-H Circular #179 “Uniform rules for 4-H Horse Shows” which including the following changes, shall constitute the rules under which all Licking County 4-H Horse Shows shall be conducted in Licking County.
- Licking County Horse ID Form - ID papers with photo ID are due by May 15, 2020
- Licking County 4-H Horse Show Category Confirmation - UPDATED 4.10.20 - Must be turned in by May 15, 2020 along with Horse ID form
- 2020 Hartford Junior Fair Livestock/Animal Requirement Summary - UPDATED 4.8.20 - Exhibitor information regarding exhibit limits, dates of possession, pre-fair weigh-in/tagging dates, clinics, entry deadline, and various animal and health requirements.
- 2020 4-H / FFA Project Skillathon & Interview Judging Schedule.
- General Preventive Health Recommendations for Animals Exhibiting at the Hartford Fair
- Equine Body Condition Scoring Chart
- Horse Permission to Participate - Needs to be signed and returned to the Extension office by April 1st. All members taking horse projects, including Horseless Horse (#173), and their guardians are required to sign and return this form. Cloverbuds in horse clubs are not required to submit this form.
- Horseless Horse Mentorship - Members taking the Horseless Horse Mentorship project, their mentors, and horse owners will need to complete this Contract of Understanding.
- Horse Lease Form & Guidelines - Must be completed and signed by the lessor, lessee and parent/guardian.
- 4-H Helmet Policy FAQ's - Click on the link for the 4-H helmet policy as stated in the Uniform Rules for 4-H Horse Shows
- The Beeson Award - "Outstanding 4-H Horse Member" Application and Guidelines
- Horse Project Completion Guidelines - This listing breaks down each project into the number of years it can be taken and the pages in each book that are to be taken each year.
- 2020 Licking County 4-H Horse Project Dates and Deadlines
- Licking County 4-H Horse Show Volunteer Responsibilities
- 4-H Horse Complex Barn Rules
- Helpful Horse Hints for Showing at the Hartford Fair
- Ohio 4-H Animal Sciences Resource website: Also, each species has their own Resource page with information that can help 4-H members decide if an animal project is right for them. There is also a home page and state calendar page for each species. Click on the following individual species for the link to the Resource pages: Companion, Dog, Rabbit, Dairy, Horse, Poultry, Livestock and Ohio 4-H PetPals. Also, check out the State 4-H Skillathon website
- 2020 Ohio State Fair Junior Horse Show schedule and other information
Equine Education Opportunities:
Horse Bowl is a team-based contest that gives 4-H members a unique opportunity to gain knowledge about the horse. Teams are comprised of four to five members and are divided by age for junior and senior divisions. The competition setting is similar to that of quiz bowl or Jeopardy. Members sit side-by-side and answer questions individually and as a team. The questions are developed from their 4-H project books and a few outside national resources. Horse Bowl emphasizes learning, team work and sportsmanship skills. For more information contact Coach: Lisa Kuhn 614-746-7634.
Licking County 4-H Horse & Pony Council (LCHPC):
The Licking County 4-H Horse & Pony Council meetings are held on the second Monday of every month at 7:00 p.m. at the Licking County Extension Office.
2020 Council Officers: President - Matt Rausenberg; Vice President - Laura Tyler; Secretary - Kim Rahde; Treasurer - Cris Martin